Yelp is a website and mobile app that connects people with great local businesses. Founded in July 2004, Yelp has taken root in countries across the globe, making it the leading local guide for real word-of-mouth on everything from boutiques and mechanics to restaurants and dentists. The Yelp community is made up of engaged locals who connect online and off to share their opinions about local businesses.
Yelp purpose: To connect people with great local businesses
10 Things You Should Know About Yelp
- Yelp was founded in 2004 to help people find great local businesses like dentists, hair stylists and mechanics.
- Yelp had an average of approximately 135 million monthly unique visitors in Q4 2014.
- Yelpers have written over 71 million local reviews.
- In addition to reviews, you can use Yelp to find events, lists and to talk with other Yelpers.
- Every business owner (or manager) can setup a free account to post photos and message their customers.
- Yelp makes money by selling ads to local businesses - you’ll see these clearly labeled "Yelp Ads" around the site.
- Paying advertisers can never change or re-order their reviews.
- Yelp uses automated software to recommend the most helpful and reliable reviews for the Yelp community among the millions we get. The software looks at dozens of different signals, including various measures of quality, reliability, and activity on Yelp. The process has nothing to do with whether a business advertises on Yelp or not. Learn more here.
- You can access Yelp via iPhone, Android, and more - see the full list of mobile apps here.
- The Weekly Yelp brings locals updates on the latest and greatest business openings & other happenings.
Since 2004, Yelp has been connecting people with great local businesses, and we’re looking to grow our team with folks who are passionate about that mission. We have offices across the country—a few in Europe to boot—and have been rated a top employer by the San Francisco Business Journal. We work hard, throw Nerf darts even harder, and have a whole lot of fun. Whether it’s for marketing, engineering, or another -ing, if you think you’re Yelployee material we’d sure love to hear from you.